Compassion for Life/Disaster Relief Servants

About Us Donations  Safety Precautions During Disasters Home Page Katrina/Rita Trip New Orleans/Slidell, LA. Trip Helping Rebuild Lives Hurricane Ike Trip Watch Out For Scams Tornadoe Safety Family Emergency Kit Preparing An Emergency Plan Flooding Safety Winter Safety Tips Fire Safety Severe Thunderstorm Safety Drowning Emergency Heat Related Emergencies Household Chemical Emergency Wildfire Safety Helping Fire Victims Earthquake Safety Tips




  • Install smoke detectors in your home or apartment.  Make sure the smoke detectors are clean and the batteries are changed every year. (If you are low income, elderly and/or disabled, contact your local fire dept. or disaster relief org., “Compassion for Life” @ 940-328-0094 and they can install one for you for free.)
  • Plan escape routes with your family.
  • Clean out storage areas.  Do not let trash accumulate.
  • Check electrical wiring for frayed or exposed wires and loose plugs.  Do not overload extension cords or outlets.  Do not run extension cords under carpets.
  • Never use gasoline, benzene, naphtha or similar liquids indoors. Never smoke near these flammable liquids. Safely discard all rags or materials soaked in flammable material after use.
  • Check heating sources and make sure they are clean and in good working order. Never put an alternate fuel in a kerosene heater.  Keep all heat sources away from drapes, furniture, etc. Alternate heat sources such as wood, coal, kerosene, etc. should be attended and used carefully.
  • Make sure that home insulation is not in contact with electrical wiring.
  • Know where your gas meter and central electrical panels are so you can shut them off in an emergency.  If you shut off your gas line, make sure only a gas company professional turns it back on.
  • Ask your local fire dept. to inspect your home for fire safety and prevention.
  • Do not install an untreated wood shake roof.
  • Make your landscaping fire safe by removing excess brush and undergrowth and pruning trees of low and dead branches.


·        If the fire is larger than the size of a trash can, call 911 immediately for the fire dept. for it can quickly get out of control.

·        If it is a small fire it can be extinguished by taking away its air and fuel. Cool it with water or the proper fire-extinguishing chemical.  If it is an ordinary combustible such as paper, cloth, wood, rubber, and many plastics, you will need a “Class A” fire extinguisher or water.

·        Never use water on an electrical fire. Use only a “Class C” fire extinguisher.  If the electricity has been turned off, the fire becomes a “Class A” fire.

·        Oil and grease fires occur primarily in the kitchen and smothering the flames with baking soda or salt can put them out.  If it is burning in the pan, put the lid over the flame and turn off the heat source. “Class B” fires are burning flammable liquids such as oils, gasoline and combustible liquids such as charcoal lighter fluid and kerosene.  These fires can be put out with a “Class B” fire extinguisher also. They make an “A B C” fire extinguisher for use in the home. The “A B C” can be used for all types of fires, excluding the Class D.  It is wise to have one in the home.

·        .”Class D” fires are caused from combustible metals such as aluminum, magnesium and titanium.  Use only a “Class D” extinguisher for this type of fire.  It is very important to identify the type of fuel to select the proper method and agent for extinguishing the fire.

·        If you or another victim’s clothes catch on fire, stop, drop and roll until the fire is extinguished.  Running only makes the fire burn faster.

·        If someone is burned, make sure that the area is safe for you and the victim and get the first aid kit. Remove burned clothing and jewelry from the burned area if they are not stuck to the skin. If the victim is unresponsive call 911 and begin CPR. If the victim is responsive, and the burn area is small, cool it immediately with cool water.  If possible, hold the burned area under cold tap water for 15-30 minutes. You may cover the burn with a dry, non-sticking, sterile/clean dressing. Do not put ointments, or household remedies on a burn. Call 911 for medical assistance.

·        Sleep with your door closed.  If you wake up to the sound of your smoke detector, feel the door before you open it.  If the door is cool, leave immediately.  Be prepared to bend low or crawl.  Smoke and heat rise and the air is cooler near the floor.  If the door is hot, escape through a window.  If you cannot escape, hang a white or light-colored sheet outside the window to alert the fire fighters of your presence.



  • Contact your insurance agent about estimates and loss coverage.
  • Do not enter a fire-damaged building unless authorities have given you permission.
  • When entering a building, be watchful for signs of heat or smoke because they may be signs of smoldering remains of the fire.
  • Have and electrician check your household wiring before the current is turned back on. Do not attempt to reconnect any utilities yourself.
  • Beware of structural damage.  Roofs and floors may be weakened and need repair.
  • Discard food, beverages and medicines that have been exposed to heat, smoke or soot, for they are unsafe to ingest.
  • If you have a safe or a strong box, do not try to open it.  A safe or a fireproof box can hold intense heat for several hours.  If the door is opened before the box is cooled, the entering air combined with the high internal temperature may cause the contents to burst into flames.